Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, December 1, 2012

25 Day's of Pinterest! Day 1

Good Morning!

I'm over at the Penelope Lane Boutique today, talking with the fabulous vendors and ogling all the amazing creations!  If you're looking for a fun and fabulous boutique to do a little Christmas shopping at, come down and join us!

I'm so excited, because today is Day 1 of my 25 Day's of Pinterest!  I'll be sharing different Pinterest projects that I've either been inspired by or straight up copied!  I'm going to include Holiday Decor, Gifts you can purchase or make, Elf of the Shelf ideas, Recipes, Outings/Traditions and more! 

So, without further ado, here's Day 1!

{Photo courtesy of  vosgesparis.blogspot.ca via Pinterest} 

I fell in love with this idea!  I love the simplicity of the star and the rustic feel of the wood.  I believe that they used yard stakes for this star, but I could be mistaken (I looked at two pins that were similar to this).

Here's my interpretation...

I decided that I didn't want to purchase anything for this project, so I walked very nonchalantly, with my hands in my pockets and whistling, past the paint desk in Home Depot and grabbed a few paint stirring sticks maybe a few times... and then I ran!  Okay, that 's a little dramatic, but that's what I felt like I was doing!  The paint stirring sticks are free, but I'm pretty sure they'd frown on anyone taking 10 sticks at a time!  It was like I was revisiting my paint chip days!

So, I took 5 paint stirring sticks and I sanded them down to try to get the orange Home Depot a little less noticeable.  I then glued the sticks together in a star shape.  I used Gorilla Wood Glue and just did a little dab where they connected - wipe off the excess glue with a damp cloth.  I then clamped them together at each glued point and let them dry over night.

The next day I used Killz Primer - Odorless - and did a few coats on each side making sure the Orange Home Depot was completely gone.  I let this dry over night.  I then grabbed my can of cream spray paint (again, odorless) and did 2 coats of paint on each side. I let this dry again overnight.

I had a package of battery operated white lights that I typically use on my mantle so I wrapped them around the star, popped in a few batteries and BAM!  A fun, FREE (if you already have a strand of battery operated lights) Christmas decor!  You could really paint the star any color or use colored lights on the star, it's up to you!

Afterthought - I wanted my star to look a little more rustic, so I ended up sanding the edges a little to show the wood underneath.  I like it a lot more now.  I also added some greenery, ribbon and a few jingle bells and plan to put this on our front door.

Have a great Saturday!  See you tomorrow!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment