Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Nautical Flags Quilt...

Good Morning!

Thanks for visiting today!

Today I wanted to share a quilt I made as a gift a friends new baby.  They're a very special couple to us, the Dad is Big A's best friend since they were 5 and his beautiful wife is so sweet, kind and thoughtful that we just love them and their 2 year old little girl, Stella, to pieces!  In fact, you may remember this quilt that I made for Stella a few years back...


It was so much fun, getting to make such a girly quilt!  Using pinks/purples/flowers/butterflies... it doesn't get much more girly than this!  I wanted to make a quilt for the new baby, who's a boy, and the I knew that the room was going to have a nautical theme...

Now, I'm not really a sailor in any way shape or form... I've heard the term "Yar" but that's about it!  So, I turned to my trusty Pinterest for some inspiration!  Here's what I found...



The flags above immediately made me see quilt squares... so I then searched for Nautical Flags in Pinterest and I found these...


and then this...


And something clicked!  I had no idea that the nautical flags corresponded with letters to send messages to other ships... so I thought, why not spell out the baby's name with Nautical flags?

I grabbed a pencil and paper and started drawing out my pattern (I almost always do this on quilts that aren't plain square quilts), then went to the store and grabbed some solid cotton quilting fabrics, washed, dried, ironed them and started cutting the pieces to my quilt squares.  This is where it got a little complicated.

For most of the squares I could break it down into pieces so that it was easy to assembly them.  But a few of them gave me pause... like the "Y" - so I found this on Pinterest...

(source purlbee.com)
 
These are all napkins that have been pieced together - with photo and step by step instructions on how to assemble ever.single.flag! Which is exactly what I needed for some of the more difficult squares!
 

Here's the final quilt!  Can you spell out the baby's name?  
 
 

 

If you said Henry, then you'd be correct!  The top line is his first name, Henry, the bottom is his middle name, Capen.  I couldn't find an ascetically pleasing way to put his last name on the quilt, so I didn't!  That's the pro of designing your own quilt - you get to do what you want!  Big A had some serious qualms about not including the last name, but you can see how much his qualms affected me!
 
 
 


Here's some of the quilt squares up close.  See how you can just piece them like a regular quilt square?





 And the binding and the back.  I love the binding, it looks like little flags to me!
 
That's it!  I didn't end up "quilting" it, I used embroidery floss to tie knots in the middle of the different flags and matting, I really liked the look of the knots, they seemed to fit the nautical theme quite nicely!
 
That's it!  Hope you enjoyed!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment