Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Vinyl Wall Decals

Hello!!! Happy 4th of July Weekend!!! We're pretty tame around here, it seems like we're using the 4 day weekend (my amazing husband has 4 days off of work - yay!) to get some projects done that we've been thinking of doing for... well, since we moved into our house!!!

My weekend project is to finish Adams playroom! I was inspired 2 years ago when I saw a letter wall in a family room - I thought "I could do that..." so, when we started painting the playroom I drew letters on the wall to paint... then I realized that this was going to take forever and because we have cottage cheese walls (I'm sure that's not the technical term), I realized that my letters weren't going to look clean and crisp... hmmm, what to do, what to do? So, I painted over my drawn letters and let that hang out for a year and still pondered. Then, almost a year ago I got the Silhouette SD machine and my LSS started selling vinyl by the roll and I realized that I could use my machine to cut out letters of any font and size that I wanted! And so, here is my wall today.


 I still have more work to do, I used a whole roll of vinyl on this corner, but it looks super cool and I'm very excited. It's very easy too, once you get the hang of it. Here's my two suggestions:

1. Create a whole page of letters and place them where you want them (size, spacing, position) on your word doc. If you know where you want them on your page it's easy to transfer them and get the same look on your wall.

2. USE TRANSFER PAPER!!!! The first time I placed the letters on my wall I took them off the sheet one-by-one and tried to place them like they were on the sheet. What a pain. When I placed them onto the wall they were crooked, the spacing was off and some of them would stick to themselves. Once I read the transfer paper instructions and tried it that way, soooo much easier!!! I even used the same sheet of transfer paper 2 or 3 times before I threw it away!

I also cut some letters from my QK dies to fill in the gaps between some letters. Just use the vinyl, cut it down to fit the letters that you want to die cut and run it through your Epic the same way you'd do paper.

Remember, you can cut any shape from vinyl if you have a machine to cut it from or a die!!! I plan to make a bunch of shapes and give them to Adam so he can decorate his own wall - hopefully it doesn't take me 2 years to do it, tho!!!

Happy and safe 4th of July to everyone!!!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment