Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 31, 2013

Zuc'n It Up - Someone's Grandma's Zucchini Bread Recipe

Good Morning!

I'm back to share ANOTHER zucchini recipe!  Yay!  What, you don't have zucchini filling up every nook and cranny in your house?  You haven't put a face on a zucchini and given it your child as  "Zuci", his new friend?  You're now leaving before I divulge any more of my crazy?  Wait!... at least until you check out this Zucchini Bread Recipe!

(Photo and Original Recipe Courtesy of K&K Test Kitchen via Pinterest)
 
Grandma's Zucchini BreadFrom Grandma Betty

1 cup sugar
½ cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp grated lemon peel
(1 tsp orange extract) or juice from ½ orange
1 ½ cup flour (I used bread flour and the bread was extra fluffy!)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ cup pecans, chopped
1 ½ cup grated unpeeled zucchini
Preheat oven to 375°
Beat sugar, oil, egg, lemon peel, and orange extract until well blended. Add sifted dry ingredients and zucchini alternately and mix well. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 55 minutes.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
So, I made a few changes based on the ingredients that I had on hand.
 
I used juice from our tangelos - they're delicious and super sweet!  I juiced 2 tangelos and figured that was pretty close to juice from 1/2 orange.
 
I also used the zest from the tangelos... I did have a lemon, but thought the orange coloring and flavor would be super yummy.
 
I chopped 1/2 C walnuts and instead of mixing them into the batter, I sprinkled them on top before baking.
 
I made muffins instead of a loaf, it's easier for a quick morning grab while running out the door to work/school.  I baked the muffins in greased muffin tins for 20 min.  I probably would've cut the time down to 18 min, the muffins weren't burnt, but I think they may have been a little over cooked...
 
I also sandwiched the shredded zucchini between a few paper towels and then squeezed the extra moisture out.  After I got as much liquid out as I could, I sprinkled salt on the zucchini and let it hang out until I needed it, the salt helps to get more liquid out.
 
That's it!  A super yummy zucchini bread/muffin recipe!  The recipe made 16 muffins, I gave a few to my Dad and my Mother-in-law, but we took the rest down in no time!
 
Have a great day!  See you Saturday with ANOTHER zucchini recipe... this time involving chocolate!
Andrea
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment