Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Foodie Week - Lemon Bar Cookies

Hello! 

Today I'll be sharing a recipe that I found on Pinterest for Lemon Cookies - the idea of biting into a tangy/sweet lemon cookie makes me think of taking a bite of sunshine!  In the Pinterest description area, it said "just like a lemon bar!", well, that got my attention.  I really like lemon bars, but I like my lemon bars extra lemony... just keep that in mind when reading my review...

{photo and recipe courtesy of sophistimom.com via Pinterest.com}

I've been craving lemon bars lately, it's what I wanted for desert on Mother's Day but the bakery that my husband went to, closed early for Mother's Day... so, when I was revisiting my "Yum" board, I saw these, looked in the cupboard for the ingredients and baked them up myself! 

Here's the recipe:

chewy lemon snowdrop cookies
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
zest of 2 lemons
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons lemon juice
about 1 cup powdered sugar, for coating


1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Set aside.

2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, lemon zest, sugar, and agave nectar. Mix until very smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides.

3. In a small cup, combine the lemon juice baking soda. With the mixer on low, add in flour mixture and lemon juice mixture. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula and mix the dough by hand a few times to ensure an even distribution of the ingredients.

4. Roll the dough into balls, one inch in diameter. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets , and then toss in powdered sugar to coat.

Here's our cookies...
These cookies were very easy to make, I had everything on hand and my little guy helped me with them.  I did like that, since there were no eggs, he could eat the dough raw.  We also had fun with the baking soda and lemon juice combo - Adam was amazed when it started fizzing and erupting like a volcano! 


{Cookie Face}

Review (1-10, 10 being AMAZING!)

Taste: 7-8 - these weren't as lemony as I would've liked - I think next time I'll add more lemon juice and zest...
Ease: 10 - super easy
Cost: 10  - normal supplies that I believe most cupboards have on hand
Shelf life: 10 - we baked these 4 days ago and they're still perfectly moist and chewy...

I would definitely make these again, but like I said, I would add more lemon and maybe a pinch less sugar.  I just don't think that they taste like lemon bars in the present recipe, but I'd be happy to keep playing with it until they do! 

That's it for me!  And doesn't yellow just make you think, "SUMMER!" - I know it does me!
Oh, and I made red sauce enchilada's last night with the left over shredded beef - they were a hit!  I'll post that recipe tomorrow!

Have a delicious filled day!
Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment