Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Slice of Pie! More of My Pie Obsession...

Good Morning!

On Monday I shared my Grandma's talent for pie making, and cooking in general, but mostly how I've been wanting to feel closer to her by doing things that remind me of her for my little family.  We saw her Tuesday morning, she looked great in a pink sweater and jeans with her hair and make-up all done, tons of blinged out jewelery adorning her wrists, fingers, neck, ears... that's how she rolls.  She's taken some of her older photos to my parents to share, and by old I mean 1930's-1940's.  I was so happy that Adam and I happened to be there, I loved hearing her stories and her love for her parents, siblings, childhood... she's a remarkable woman.

My favorite pie that she makes is Lemon Meringue - I remember it at Holidays, the Annual Family Reunion... so I started off last weekend calling her for the recipe... here's a condensed version of our conversation:

Me:  "Hi Grandma"

GG:  "Hi Honey"

Me:  "Can I get your Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe?  Do you know if by heart?"

GG:  "Sure you can!  Now listen, it's real simple, you'll want to go to your Staters (local grocery store) and get a frozen pie crust, the Marie Callendars one is real good and some lemon pie filling."

Me:  "What, no Grandma, I want the real recipe, not the cheaters recipe!"

GG:  "Well, it's just as good and no one will know!"

Me:  "No way Grandma, I want the real one."

GG:  "Well, have you known when I've made the real one?"

Me: Silence

GG:  "Okay, I'll call you later Andrea with the 'real' recipe".

Me:  "Thanks Grandma."

I'm still waiting for the 'real' recipe... but since I'm not the most patient person, I ended up finding a recipe on Pinterest and using that for a super tangy-sweet, awesome pie!  My Grandma's is still better, but this one was very good, super yummy, perfect for a summer treat that refreshes!

{Photo and Recipe Source}

{Someone Else's} Grandma's Delicious Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep: 30 Min.  Cook: 10 Min.  Ready 40 Min.

Ingredients:

1 cupwhite sugar,
2 tbspall-purpose flour,
3 tbspcorn starch,
14 tspsalt,
1 12 cupwater,
2lemon, juiced and zested
2 tbspbutter,
4egg yolk, beaten
9 inbaked pie crust,
4egg white,
6 tbspwhite sugar,

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
  3. To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
   
Such a yummy, summery pie!  I highly recommend it... my Grandma's is still better, but until I have her recipes (I've requested ALL of her recipes so I can make copies), this one is a pretty good substitute!  My husband loved it... he's a lemon lover and was impressed, so I think that's a pretty good endorsement!

Have a great day!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment