Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 5, 2011

On the 5th Day of Pinterest...

My crafty love gave to me....

A painted $1 Store Vase!

Here's my Pinterest Inspiration...
{Photo Courtesy of sugarandcharm.blogspot.com via Pinterest)



So, I went to the 99 Cent's Store and the Dollar Tree and I felt like the Dollar Tree had a better selection, so I bought a few vases in different colors, some are actually candle holders, I believe.  And I grabbed my red acrylic paint and went to work!

Pour a fair amount into your vase.  I put a puddle of paint in the bottom and then tried to get some along the sides.

I never used a brush for this project, just used the gravity and the form of the vase to move my paint around.
You may need to add more paint if it looks like there's spots that aren't being covered.

It's a pretty relaxing project, watching the paint move... and quick too!

Once you've covered all of the sides of your vase, flip it over onto something that can collect the excess paint.  I used a pie tin that I then reshaped to pour the excess paint off the tin and back into the paint tube.

I left mine upside down for about 20-30 minutes, then I flipped it back over.  The neck of the vase was completely covered and I felt like most of the excess paint had flowed out of the vase and onto my pie tin. 

I left  my vase dry over night.  And here they are...

Aren't they pretty?

Here's the insides...

If I put flowers in them, I'd put the water in a separate vase and put that vase inside of the painted vase to protect the paint and flowers.  I think candles would look pretty... and that took me in another direction...


I had some Martha Steward Glitter paint and I did the same process with it.  I like it, I'm going to put a candle in it and watch it sparkle!  The glitter paint was way more expensive and I had to use A LOT to get good coverage because it's very thin where the other paint was very thick.  I keep thinking about adding another coat to it, but haven't really decided...

That's it for today!  I'll see you tomorrow with more 25 Days of Pinterest!
Andrea




1 comment: