Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

On the 7th Day of Pinterest...

My crafty love gave to me...

A sparkly, $1 Store village!

Here's my inspiration from Pinterest...

{Photo courtesy of marthastewart.com via Pinterest}


I've been wanting a little village for our Christmas decor for a while now, but I don't want to spend the money on a nice one... and I honestly don't have the space to display a nice one - especially with little hands that are naturally attracted to pretty breakables!

So, on a trip to the $1 store (looking for glass vases to paint) I came across these...
They were a $1 each, and I looked and looked at them and was trying to debate between spiffing up the houses with paint (seemed tedious) or painting them a solid color.  I bought 7 of them, but only 6 made it home without breaking.

I set them on a board and spray painted them all white.  It took a few coats, and I had to flip them over to make sure I got all the nooks and cranny's.

I let them dry over night, and while I liked the plain white, I felt like it was missing a little something.
(sorry, I don't have pictures for the next steps, a little someone broke my SD card with those pictures on it!)

So, what does any crafty, girly girl think of?  Glitter.
I know, it's a little hard to see.  I used Diamond Dust and Modge Podge.  Let me tell you what I tried that DIDN'T work.

I mixed my Diamond Dust (a clear, coarse, chunky glitter) and my Modge Podge together in an attempt to lose 1 step.  This didn't work, the Diamond Dust wasn't sparkly at all.  So, back to the 2 step method.

I used a foam brush and brushed on Modge Podge, then sprinkled the glitter on with a spoon.  I set them aside and let them dry over night and viola!  A sparkly village for $7!

I'll share pictures of it all set up another day!

See you tomorrow for more 25 Days of Pinterest!
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment